Chief Audit Executive
Trevor L. Williams is the Chief Audit Executive of the Office of Internal Audit at Florida International University. Under his leadership, the Office of Internal Audit has been dedicated to developing creative and innovative ways of approaching the audit process to ensure the quality of insights and findings. Our Chief Audit Executive’s efforts lie in bringing the best out of each team member to make sure that all focus is on keeping FIU safe and secure.
In July 2018, Mr. Williams was appointed as the Chief Audit Executive of Florida International University’s Office of Internal Audit. Mr. Williams has a long and distinguished career spanning over 33 years in accounting and auditing, inclusive of both internal and external auditing. During his years of auditing, he has been involved in performing, coordinating, and directing financial, compliance, and performance audits in a wide variety of areas including construction, transportation, education, financial services, risk management, pension and health benefit plans, maintenance operations, contracts, and grants.
Before joining the University, he served in various audit and accounting capacities:
- Assistant Chief Auditor, Miami Dade County Public Schools
- District Audit Director, Miami Dade County Public Schools
- Executive Director and Director of Construction Audit, Miami Dade County Public Schools
- Auditor, LaPadula & Company, Certified Public Accountants
- Accountant, McGladrey & Pullen, Certified Public Accountants
Mr. Williams graduated with honors from Virginia State University with a Bachelor of Science degree in Business Administration and a minor in Accounting. He also earned a Master of Accounting Degree from Florida International University and is a Certified Public Accountant in Florida and Virginia. He is a member of the following professional associations:
- Institute of Internal Auditors
- Association of College and University Auditors
- Association of Local Government Auditors
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (past member)
In addition, he currently serves on the Association of Local Government Auditors’ Peer Review Committee and was a mentor in the 5000 Role Models of Excellence Project and Big Brothers/Big Sisters programs, where he mentored young men in the community.